Rewatching Doctor Who: School Reunion
May. 6th, 2026 09:27 pmAnother 20-years-on rewatch for us, last week, with my review only going up now.
This is a strong episode, that brought back a much-loved old character, in a way that appealed to both long-term fans from the 1970s and new fans who had no idea who Sarah Jane Smith was. Or indeed K9. It was a risk going for the jealousy angle, and Rose doesn't always come out well, including re the final bit with Mickey. But it gives a new perspective on the role of a companion, and I think was generally well done.
It's another tightly written episode - rewatching this 2006 series I'm constantly agog at how much tighter the single parters were writing wise than in the RTD2 era - with a strong plot and good guest cast. Anthony Head is particularly strong in his role, and I honestly thought that the main kid actors were ok, though I've seen other reviewers less positive about them.
As an old time fan myself, albeit starting watching in 1978 after Sarah Jane Smith left the TARDIS, I loved the ending. And it was easy to see how much fun David Tennant was having, as another lifelong fan. It's no wonder that this led to the very successful Sarah Jane Adventures spin off.
This is a strong episode, that brought back a much-loved old character, in a way that appealed to both long-term fans from the 1970s and new fans who had no idea who Sarah Jane Smith was. Or indeed K9. It was a risk going for the jealousy angle, and Rose doesn't always come out well, including re the final bit with Mickey. But it gives a new perspective on the role of a companion, and I think was generally well done.
It's another tightly written episode - rewatching this 2006 series I'm constantly agog at how much tighter the single parters were writing wise than in the RTD2 era - with a strong plot and good guest cast. Anthony Head is particularly strong in his role, and I honestly thought that the main kid actors were ok, though I've seen other reviewers less positive about them.
As an old time fan myself, albeit starting watching in 1978 after Sarah Jane Smith left the TARDIS, I loved the ending. And it was easy to see how much fun David Tennant was having, as another lifelong fan. It's no wonder that this led to the very successful Sarah Jane Adventures spin off.